28 April, 2010

7 into 2

The following is based on candidate statements and known relevent positions, both of candidates themselves and their nominees (and also a wee bit of facebook stalking. Come on, it's not like I'm the only one to ever do that). I imagine the candidate statements will be put onto the Arc website in the next few days, plus they'll appear in Blitz for the next fortnight.
I'll put in a link here to that list once it's online.

7 candidates for 2 positions. Or to be more precise: 2 candidates for one position, then 6 candidates for a second position.

There are two candidates for the Post-Grad Director position. I don't personally know either of them. Of them, the best placed will become a Board Director. The runner-up then goes into the draw for Ordinary Director.
  • Jonathan The's statement reads very bureaucratic. Very focused on ticking all the boxes. Bear in mind, this is based purely on what's been written, I've never met him. I don't recognise the names of either of his nominees.
  • Luke Parkitny I also haven't met. Based purely on what he wrote (which is, after all, all most voters will have), he sounds much more like a human. His nominees include one of the SRC Post-Grad Councillors, Pip Hunter, whom I admire. There's also the current Welfare Officer and the outgoing Yellow Shirt Coordinator.
For Ordinary Director: As said above, the second-placed PG candidate goes into this ballot. It's possible (though unlikely given the numbers) that both PG candidates will become Board Directors.
  • David Godwin. I recognise the photo, though not the name. I think he's involved with CircuSoc. He seems quite friendly.
  • David Lim. His candidate statement reads as a big reach-out to Sport and Recreation. That's where he's based, he wants Arc to move in that direction (I think). A little birdie told me that he's being backed by Unity. I've yet to find out anything for myself about that, so I wouldn't take it as gospel.
  • Natalie Karam. She's the current LawSoc President, and the only female candidate. I've known her for a few years. While she used to be a member of the Liberals, she's walked away from all that and is running independent. I have to say, as a budding grammarian, I really didn't like her candidate statement. Full of bureaucratise, lots of 'weeping willow' structures, and very convoluted sentences. Mind you, from my time as Tharunka editor, many if not most law students will write that way given half a chance.
  • Ross Willing. He's running as a representative of the Colleges; from my quick StalkBooking, I think he's from New College. I don't know a lot about him, will talk to a few others from there to see what I can find out. But from his candidate statement, he seems quite level-headed.
  • Then there's me. I'm running from a background in student politics, from the SRC in particular.
So: Circusoc, Sport&Rec, LawSoc, Colleges and the SRC. Six clear bases of support. It'll be interesting to see who's still standing once the dust settles. But hopefully, much like last year, it'll be a friendly campaign; there's no need for spite or anger in this sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment